Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Rambles from a Supposed Translator

"More information results in less meaning. The number of e-mail messages continually increases in the in-box but there are no epiphanies, only stress and witlessness"
p 65, Cronin, "Translation and Globalization"

That's pretty much the name of my course.

Globalization is not recognized by gmail as a word.

I read something else which compared translators to magicians, except that everyone wants to know the how of magic, but no one cares about the how of translation. But both are equally expected to perform. There's a lot more to translation than you or I can imagine. Maybe at the end of this program I will be able to elaborate more. Right now I am sifting through a lot of information that I am having trouble processing.

Many translators have died for the cause. Recently, in Iraq. Bilingual Iraqis (or actual Iraqi interpreters) hired by Americans lead very dangerous lives. Perhaps people should care more? And not just when they make mistakes...but that's the nature of our world.

That just took an unexpected turn. Uhh...awkward.

No comments: