Wednesday, November 28, 2007

What I learned...

Doing a research project that could potentially result in my expulsion from my program (not for content, just my lack of aptitude) I have learned something important this afternoon. It has occurred to me exactly how important translators are.

Most of you know that my project focuses on Haiti and the dismal situation there, French-speaking minority controls the country, whereas the Creole-speaking minority, who does not speak French, is stuck, as everything, including the government and schools operate entirely in French. Imagine if schools were taught in Creole and French and that more books were available in Creole. A translator could do this. A translator can get the wheels of change moving and help a country that has been in trouble for over 200 years. Suddenly, I am inspired to be a translator.

No comments: